Sunday, September 1, 2013

First day of fall

The first day of September is always kind of special, beautiful leaf-covered streets and lawns and warm strays of afternoon sun on their way, and, of course, lots and lots of fall knitting.

Today was especially cold and rainy, but we haven't turned on the heat in the house just yet, because there are still sun and warmth left according to the forecast, but luckily my Staghorn Aran sweater was lying in the closet waiting for me.


I'm knitting the Ribbed Ribbon Socks from Wendy Johnson's Socks from the toe up, using a beautiful custom-dyed sock yarn from English Wharfedale Woolworks. I especially look forward to trying out my new Knit Pro sock blockers to really make the lace pattern pop!

I'm also making a birthday / Christmas present for my mom using this beautiful, tweedy Irish Donegal yarn:


It's a beautiful red shade with little flecks of color. The base is very rustic, but it's still soft, being pure merino wool, and it knits up very nicely. It'll be a pair of mittens for my mom for either her birthday in October or for Christmas. Haven't decided yet.

On a totally different account, I went to London yesterday with my sister for a same-day-return-trip. Yep, that's right, London is no more than an hour an a half away from Copenhagen.


We went to Her Majesty's Theatre near Piccadilly Circus to watch The Phantom of the Opera, which was incredibly beautiful. The stage, the costumes, the songs... all breathtaking.

We also went to Oxford Street for a little shopping. It was such a great day, and such a nice little break.

2 comments:

  1. I make socks from the top down :-)
    I loooove that colour you're using!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely colours, especially that tweedy yarn. And that London sounds fine! :-)

    ReplyDelete