Saturday, September 3, 2011

Birthday knits and other secrets

My mom and dad are both celebrating their birthday in the months of autumn, which comes to great advantage for a person like me. When summer is drawing to its close, I find myself itching to get started on cozy autumn and winter projects, and what better excuse than to start working on birthday presents - such a great excuse to surround yourself with warm, luscious yarns!

I am knitting up a pair of dark brown baby alpaca (Vidal Alpaca yarn, love love love!) twisted cable fingerless gloves for my dad, having watched him try on a striped pair of Great Weekend Mitts a couple of months ago that he liked.

My mom's birthday is in october, so I have a bit more time to gather ideas, but yesterday I happened to stumble upon this incredibly beautiful hand-dyed yarn (also in super-delicious baby alpaca - I'm in love!) from the amazing Etsy store Wild Fire Fibres.

Photo from Wild Fire Fibers' Etsy shop

This one is called Maya and this exact color-way is perfect for my mom who loves all things red. It's called India, and it also comes in other great color-ways, not to mention the many other lace-weight, fingering-weight, and DK-weight yarns.

A bunch of soft heathered Cascade 220 landed on my doorstep last month, and the colors are, as always, to die for.

From left it's Pacific, Seafoam, Amethyst, and Framboise. What exactly I have in mind for these skeins remains a secret for a little while, but I promise to keep you updated.
I'm really enjoying this new blog! Ravelry really did open up a whole new world to me, (and many others too, I am sure). I have known of Etsy for quite a while, too, but I have never bought anything from any of its shops. Now I can't wait to place my order for the beautiful Maya DK. Are you guys frequent users of Etsy, or do you have any specific yarn dealers that you want to recommend?

No comments:

Post a Comment