Thursday, August 2, 2012

It was all too perfect

I have finally, after numerous swatches and test knits, started on a project that I really like and that I think will turn out good.
But I guess we're not doing anything the easy way, right? Yesterday I had to call off my knitting for the day, because my right arm refused to cooperate any longer. Instead it went stiff and sore from all the knits and purls, and today has not been much better.


I guess that's what happens when you are too eager and sits half a day knitting. Anyway, I searched the web and came across a guide to five different stretches for knitting pain and stiffness. Turns out that every once in a while when we knitters get all stiff and sore in our arms, wrists and fingers, it's due to the muscle fascia, which gets tight around our muscles. It means that the muscles don't have room to move, and it can be fixed by stretching the arms, wrists and fingers in five specific ways that are described in the above link.

So here's to all my fellow sore-armed knitters. In my case, though, it's probably due to my tight knitting.

2 comments:

  1. Get well soon!
    I never thought, that I could get an injury from knitting. But since two weeks i have problems with some fingers. My case comes along that I'm a climber, so a little bit finger trouble is "normal". Some of these stretches are a part of my warm up training before climbing, i should add these also to my daily routine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the link! I've struggled with the same problem, knitting causes pain.

    ReplyDelete