Wednesday, July 3, 2013

I have graduated!

Okay, so this blog is knitting related above all- but! This is something that my life has revolved around for the last couple of weeks, and I thought it might be fun for you guys to know how this whole thing is celebrated where I come from!

I have graduated!

For three years I have attended a Danish high school - which roughly corresponds to an American high school. This has been where I've been studying for the last three years:

Copyright goes to the rightful owner of the picture

Isn't it cool? A super modern, brand new building, which was an amazing break to my old, 1970-ish elementary school that I attended for ten years.

And now, I have finished!


That's me, down there in the corner, smiling at the camera. And yes, it is funny, sailor-looking hats we're wearing. Danish graduates wear them in all sorts of colors, a red band symbolizing the three-year long education I attended, a blue band symbolizing another two-year long education similar to ours.

After the last exam, you receive your hat with your name and school embroidered on the back. After that, there's a whole bunch of ceremonies, including dinner with the teachers and this - handing out the diplomas, which takes a looong time - don't I look excited?

And then, of course, the most exciting and just plain awesome celebration of the graduation. A day-long wagon ride with your whole class, visiting all of the families by turn for fifteen minutes or so, and then on to the road again with roaring music from the truck, and cheering and waving from all the people we pass on our way.

Our truck was sooo cool and the second year students had decorated it so nicely for us, and it was just such an awesome experience!

Aren't we cute?

And of course, one of the best moments was when we reached our place ...

... and my whole family was there to congratulate me and my friends.

It was such a great day and I'm sooo glad we have this cool tradition, because it's just so much fun!

Now, I'm spending a year earning money and attending a Danish folk high school for half a year starting in January 2014, after which, hopefully, I get into the university that I want, where I'm going to study journalism.

I hope you had fun reading about our crazy Danish graduation traditions, and the next post will be all about knitting, promise!

5 comments:

  1. very fun! I was helping out at my husband's office last week and talking with someone who had just returned from Sweden and described this tradition. So fun to see pictures of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really fun finally to be part of as well! You can hear all the graduated students drive by every year at this time, so it was really fun to be the one who made the noise this year! ;)

      Delete
  2. Tillykke! As a foreigner in Copenhagen I was very surprised by all the trucks and sailor hats last week, but it looked like a lot of fun :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tak! I think you chose a great time to visit Copenhagen!

      Delete
  3. Bahahahaha! Wow that's so funny! I'm laughing at your sailor hats.
    Wow your school is, sorry was, amazing!

    ReplyDelete