Monday, August 17, 2015

Review: Pom Pom Magazine Autum 2015 - The Wool Issue

A couple of days ago, I received my very first issue of the Pom Pom Magazine, and I would like to share my experience with this lovely knitting magazine with you guys.
The Autumn 2015 issue is dedicated almost exclusively to the love of locally bred wool yarns - hence "The Wool Issue" - and I'm so glad that I decided to get my hands on this particular issue. You can tell that the writers and designers all share an undying love for wool. The magazine is filled with beautiful designs all made from quality wool or alpaca yarns.

There are some amazing patterns in here, and they're all beautifully photographed. The pictures in the magazine are simply stunning. These are some of the designs from the autumn issue:


The Oak Crest hat by Maisie Howarth knit in American Quince and Co. Lark 100% wool yarn.


The Hitchcock pullover by Alexa Ludeman from Tin Can Knits knit in Swans Island All American Worsted 75% USA Rambouillet 25% USA Alpaca yarn.


This one has got to be one of my favorites. This is Woodland Tales mittens by Melody Hoffman knit in beautiful New Lanark Double Knitting 100% pure wool yarn.

What I really like a lot is that all the design presentations come with a description of the origin of the yarn. The yarns featured trace back to places like Tampere, Finland and Lanark Scotland to Mosfellsbær, Iceland and Portland, Maine - to name a few. I love that the origin of the fleece is written out, and it's very exciting to see how all the different kinds of fibers trace back to sheep from all over the world.

All pictures are from the Pom Pom Magazine website.

Aside from the wonderful patterns, the magazine comes with a bunch of other creative features written by Anna Maltz and Andi Satterlund, and there's even a piece on the John Arbon Textures mill in Devon that gives an inside look on their yarn production that I can't wait to read.

This is a lovely issue and I can't wait to dive into the many pages. I'll definitely have many more issues of the Pom Pom Magazine to dive into in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment